Q. What are different types of air conditioners?
1. Window Air Conditioner: This type of unit is designed to cool a single room. In this air conditioner all the components, namely the compressor, condenser, expansion valve or coil, evaporator and cooling coil are enclosed in a single box. This unit sits in the window. Because of this, it is not the most aesthetically pleasing option available. But if you are looking to cool a single room, it is the most cost-effective option around.
2. Split Air Conditioner: This unit is comprised of two parts: the outdoor, which houses the compressor, condenser and expansion valve; and the indoor, which is comprised of the evaporator coil and cooling fan. The split air conditioner can be used to cool one or two rooms.
3. Packaged Air Conditioner: This type of unit is perfect for cooling multiple rooms or a large space in your home or office. There are two possible arrangements with the package unit. In the first one, all the components, namely the compressor, condenser (which can be air cooled or water cooled), expansion valve and evaporator are housed in a single box. The cooled air is thrown by the high capacity blower, and it flows through the ducts laid through various rooms. In the second arrangement, the compressor and condenser are housed in one casing. The compressed gas passes through individual units, comprised of the expansion valve and cooling coil, located in various rooms.
4. Central Air Conditioning System: This unit is used primarily to cool big buildings, houses, offices, entire hotels, factories, etc. The central air conditioning system is comprised of a huge compressor that has the capacity to produce hundreds of tons of air conditioning. If you have a big area to cool, central air conditioning may be the only way to go.
5. Portable Air Conditioner This system is another flavor of the unitary air conditioning system. The portable air conditioner consists of a mobile self contained air conditioning unit that is placed on the floor inside a room and discharges exhaust heat using a hose vent through an exterior wall. Portable air conditioning units are a bit noisier than other types of units and can typically cool rooms under 500 SF. These units are a solution to those stubborn hot rooms that may exist even with central air conditioning. Like the window air conditioner, the portable unitary system has all the refrigeration components on one compact box. It also ejects heat out one end and blow cooled air out the other end.